Blog Archive

Wednesday 13 July 2011

Anthony Minghella

The Talented Mr Ripley (1999)
Tom Ripley: Don't you just take the past and put it in a room in a basement and lock the door and never go in there? That's what I do, And then you meet someone special and all you want to do is to toss them the key and say; open up, step inside, but you can't, because it's dark, There's demons and if anybody saw how ugly it is... I keep wanting to do that, fling the door open just let light in and clean everything out.
Peter: Sorry, I'm completely lost.  
Tom Ripley: I know. I'm lost, too. I'm going to be stuck in the basement, aren't I, that's my, that's my... terrible, and alone, and dark, and I've lied about who I am, and where I am, and now no-one will ever find me.  
Peter: What do you mean... lied about who you are? 
Tom Ripley: I always thought it'd be better to be a fake somebody than a real nobody.  
Peter: What are you talking about? You're not a nobody. That's the last thing you are.
Peter: Good things about Mr. Ripley? Could take some time. Tom is talented. Tom is tender... Tom is beautiful... Tom is a mystery. Tom is not a nobody. Tom has secrets he doesn't want to tell me, and I wish he would. Tom has nightmares. That's not a good thing. Tom has someone to love him. That is a good thing. Tom is crushing me. Tom is crushing me... Tom, you're crushing me! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment